2115 Shelby Drive
Sedona AZ 86336
Fax (928) 282-1630
Open seven days a week 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Closed major holidays
( View directions and a map )
The Humane Society of Sedona was formed in the 1950's by a group of citizens who were concerned with the growing number of homeless dogs and cats. On July 31, 1966 the Society was incorporated as "Paw Prints, Humane Society of Sedona, Inc.", a private, non-profit corporation. The original shelter was located on Soldier Pass road on land leased from the State of Arizona. In 1984, the state chose not to renew the lease and the Board was forced to find another location for the shelter. In less than 8 weeks, we raised enough money to purchase property on Shelby Drive. With help from the Design Group, the building was renovated into a shelter. In 1993, our local veterinarians recommended an isolation area be added to control spread of contagious diseases among the dog population. This addition made an immediate improvement in the health of the animals being housed at the shelter. In the mid 1990's, the Board of Directors decided, in the best interest of the Humane Society, to purchase the land adjacent to the existing facility. What great foresight!
Health Issues Forced a Change
Twenty years later the shelter was showing signs of age. The roof leaked in several areas. The concrete floors were cracked and joints were opening where the addition was attached to the original building. Although, the staff worked diligently to keep the facility as clean as possible, the shelter still had an offensive odor and cracked concrete provided a breeding ground for disease. Each summer during monsoon season, the number of cats with respiratory infections climbed as our outdated ventilation system struggled to keep up. In short, the shelter was too old and too small to maintain the health and well-being of the animals.
Remodeling and expanding the existing facility was the only remedy. A new, two-story structure was constructed to the east of the existing building. The old structure was totally remodeled inside and out and houses the veterinary and support functions. Animal viewing and visitation areas are located on the lower floor of the new building. The upper floor contains much needed office space and public areas, including an education/conference room.
The enclosed and air conditioned space totals 12,457 square feet, including over 3,000 square feet of cat kennels and animal visitation area, over 3,300 square feet of dog kennels and animal isolation, and over 2,600 square feet of animal support & veterinary area. The plan also includes almost 1,800 square feet of outdoor animal enclosures.
Donations Are Our Main Source of Funding
We continue to be challenged to pay off our one million dollar mortgage. Donations, pledges and bequests are how we pay for the care and sheltering of over 1,000 animals we take in a year. Please consider a donation or pledge to help us ensure the future of our shelter.